Alaska Mirror

  /  News   /  Gary Cabana, Suspect in MoMA Stabbing, Arrested in Philadelphia

Gary Cabana, Suspect in MoMA Stabbing, Arrested in Philadelphia

A man who police said had stabbed two employees at the Museum of Modern Art in New York was arrested early Tuesday morning in Philadelphia, the New York Police Department said.

The N.Y.P.D. had identified the suspect in the stabbing on Saturday as Gary Cabana, 60, and released video that it said showed him attacking workers at the museum. Mr. Cabana had been denied entry to the museum after his membership was revoked.

The victims of the attack, a 24-year-old woman stabbed in the back and neck, and a 24-year-old man stabbed in the left collar bone, were later listed in stable condition at Bellevue Hospital, the police said.

“Gary Cabana: We’re no longer searching for him,” Detective Hubert Reyes of the New York Police Department said by telephone shortly after 3 a.m. on Tuesday. “He’s apparently been apprehended in Philadelphia.”

Detective Reyes said he had no further information on the arrest, including what charges Mr. Cabana had been apprehended on. The Philadelphia Police Department could not immediately be reached for comment early Tuesday morning.

The arrest was reported earlier by Steve Keeley, a journalist with a Fox News affiliate in Philadelphia. He said Mr. Cabana had been arrested outside a Greyhound bus station at 1:30 a.m.

A video released by the N.Y.P.D. after the stabbing shows a man, whom the department identified as Mr. Cabana, barreling through a revolving door at the museum and climbing across a wooden counter with a knife in his hand, cornering three employees behind a desk. As they cower under it, he begins jabbing and swinging the knife.

John Miller, the deputy commissioner for the N.Y.P.D.’s Intelligence and Counterterrorism Bureaus, later told reporters that Mr. Cabana was a regular at MoMA and had been “known to the department” before the stabbing because of two earlier incidents in the same area.

But he did not have “an extensive record or any arrest records that we are aware of,” Mr. Miller said.

Mr. Cabana remained at large for days after the stabbing. On Sunday, he appeared to post his version of what had occurred at the museum on social media, writing at one point that he had been “triggered” by a woman who tried to silence him when he laughed during a film.

The N.Y.P.D. later said it was aware of those posts and was investigating them.

Mr. Cabana’s last-known address was a supportive housing residence in Midtown Manhattan that offers shelter for the homeless, the mentally ill and those diagnosed with H.I.V./AIDS, the police said.

Source link

Post a Comment